7 January 2014
Hello Dumbo Feather Friends,
The content below is organised as follows:
- How we collect information;
- Types of information we collect;
- How we use that information;
- How we protect the information collected;
- Access to your personal information
- How to contact us.
How We Collect Information
Dumbo Feather collects personal information in a number of ways, including when you:
- Ask to be placed on a mailing list;
- Subscribe to our services and become a customer;
- Make an enquiry about our services;
- Visit our website;
- Supply goods or services to us;
- Answer a Dumbo Feather readers survey;
- Post a comment on our site; and
- Provide information to us.
When you visit our website, ‘cookies’ allow us to identify movements around our site. What is a cookie you ask? Not the baked kind. A cookie is a small amount of information sent to and stored in your web browser by a website. Cookies used in our website include an anonymous unique identifier that allows our website to recognise you and give you access to your account when you’re signed in. You need to accept cookies from this website in order to make purchases. The only personal information a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself.
Types of Information We Collect
The types of information we collect include:
- Contact and delivery details;
- IP address;
- Device (iPhone, laptop, etc);
- Web browser (Safari, Firefox, etc);
- Date and time of access and/or purchase;
- Referral information – for example, the site you came from;
- Account information (email address, credit card issuer, billing address details);
- Information provided by you through a Dumbo Feather readers survey which might include your race, ethnicity, religion, political opinions and sexual preferences; and
- Information you post on our blog page when you submit a comment.
Dumbo Feather and its related entities are not responsible for any information you’ve provided in public areas of our site, which may then be collected by other users.
We do sometimes collect sensitive information about you (about race, ethnicity, religion, political opinions, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences, health or criminal record). This information is only collected where you have voluntarily provided it to us, for example, through a response to a reader survey or through your posts or comments on our website. The purpose of collecting this information is to assist us in providing you with products and services you love. By voluntarily providing your sensitive information to us you have consented to our collection and use of your sensitive information in accordance with this policy.
How We Use Your Information
The information we collect will be used to help us:
- Provide products and services to you;
- Collect payment and deal with your account;
- To communicate with you;
- Improve the quality of our service;
- For fraud-prevention purposes;
- To purchase from you;
- Assist us in promotions and marketing our services to you including advising you of updates or changes to our products and services.
Because most of the information is collected directly from you, you will normally be aware of the purpose of the collection. We take all reasonable steps to ensure the information held is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
When you provide your email address you agree to receive direct marketing material from our related entities and us. This allows us to tell you about our exciting new products and invite you along to events we think you’ll love.
If you wish to opt out of receiving any direct marketing you may unsubscribe from these emails by clicking on the link within the email or by advising us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sometimes we might use the personal information we collect for a secondary purpose that is, for use in a way that is different from the primary purpose. We will only do this where:
- You have consented (in some cases your consent will be implied);
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose and you would reasonably expect us to use the information is such a way; or
- We are required or permitted by law to use the information in such away, or it is in the interests of public safety to do so.
But, one thing’s for sure; we will not sell any information we collect about you.
And finally, we will not transfer personal information overseas unless:
- You have provided your consent; or
- The transfer is necessary for the performance of the services between you and us in which case your consent is deemed to be given.
How We Protect the Information Collected
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and unauthorised modification, access or disclosure. The electronic database that holds the information is designed to restrict access to unauthorised persons.
The Internet is not secure and personal information you send to us via the Internet is done so at your own risk, so always be conscious of this.
Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose and it is not required to be retained by law, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify it.
Disclosure to Third Parties
As part of providing our products and services to you we may be required to disclose your personal information to third party organisations such as:
- Our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisers;
- Outsourced service providers such as agencies that distribute and deliver our products to you and assist us with promotions or competitions;
- Regulatory and other government agencies as required by Australia law;
- A court, if required by a court order or other legally enforceable request such as an injunction or subpoena,
- Our related entities;
- A third party, if we merge with another entity or sell some or all of our business to a third party then your personal information and other data will be transferred to the new owner.
By continuing to use our services and website you consent to such disclosures to third parties.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may request a copy of the personal information we hold about you by submitting a written request to email@example.com. You will be required to verify your identity and to specify what information you require.
When you get the information, let us know if you think any of it is wrong or out of date and you can ask us to change it for you. If for some reason we can’t amend it, you may request we associate the information with a statement that the information is incorrect, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
We may refuse to give access to your information and will give written reasons if we refuse access.