5 July 2013
- acceptance of the terms;
- how we collect information;
- the types of information we collect;
- how we use that information;
- how you can opt out of direct marketing material;.
- how we protect the information collected;
- disclosure to third parties;
- your ability to access and correct information; and
- how to contact us.
Acceptance of the Terms
Access and use of our site indicates your acceptance of these terms and you are consenting to the collection of the information and our use of it as described in this policy, (as amended from time to time).
We may revise our policy from time to time. If the policy terms change, we will change the date of the policy. Please check the date of the policy and the terms from time to time as your continued use of the site confirms your acceptance of any changed terms.
How We Collect Information
In the course of providing services, Dumbo Feather collects personal information in a number of ways. For example, we collect information when you:
- ask to be placed on a mailing list;
- subscribe to our services and become a customer;
- make an enquiry about our services;
- visit our website;
- supply goods or services to us;
- answer a Dumbo Feather readers survey;
- post a comment on our site; and
- provide information to us.
When you visit our website, ‘cookies’ technology allows us to identify movements around our site. A cookie is a small amount of information sent to and stored in your web browser by a website. Cookies used in this website include an anonymous unique identifier that allows our website to recognise you and give you access to your account when you’re signed in. You need to accept cookies from this website in order to make purchases. The only personal information a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself.
Types of Information We Collect
The types of information we collect include:
- Contact and delivery details;
- IP address;
- Device (iPhone, laptop, etc);
- Web browser (Safari, Firefox, etc);
- Date and time of access and/or purchase;
- Referral information – for example, the site you came from;
- Account information (email address, credit card issuer, billing address details);
- information provided by you through a Dumbo Feather readers survey such as your race, ethnicity, religion, political opinions and sexual preferences; and
- information you post on our blog page when you submit a comment.
Please note that when you disclose personal information such as your name and email address when leaving a comment on our blog page, respond to a reader survey, forum or any other publicly accessible area of our site, that your personal information may be collected and used by others. Dumbo Feather and its related entities are not responsible for any information you provide in those areas on our site.
We do sometimes collect sensitive information about you such as your race, ethnicity, religion, political opinions, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences, health or criminal record, through some of the processes outlined above. The purpose of collecting this information is to assist us in providing and promoting products and services of interest to you and to help us improve the quality of our products and services. This information is only collected where you have voluntarily provided it to us, for example, through a response to a reader survey or through your posts or comments on our website. By voluntarily providing your sensitive information to us you have consented to our collection and use of your sensitive information in accordance with this policy.
How We Use Your Information
This information will be used to help us:
- provide products and services to you;
- collect payment and deal with your account;
- to communicate with you;
- improve the quality of our service;
- for fraud-prevention purposes;
- to purchase from you;
- assist us in promotions and marketing our services to you including advising you of updates or changes to our products and services.
Because most of the information is collected directly from you, you will normally be aware of the purpose of the collection.
When you provide your email address you agree to receive direct marketing material from us and our related entities. If you wish to opt out of receiving any direct marketing you may unsubscribe from these emails by clicking on the link within the email or by advising us by sending an email to email@example.com.
We may sometimes use the personal information we collect for a secondary purpose that is, for use in a way that is different from the primary purpose. We will only do this where:
- you have consented (in some cases your consent will be implied);
- where the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose and you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information is such a way; or
- where we are required or permitted by law, or it is in the interests of public safety to do so.
We will not sell any information we collect about you.
We do not transfer personal information overseas unless:
- you have provided your consent; or
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of the services between you and us in which case your consent is deemed to be given.
How We Protect the Information Collected
We take all reasonable steps to ensure the information held is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and unauthorised modification, access or disclosure. The electronic database that holds the information is designed to restrict access to unauthorised persons.
The internet is not secure and personal information you send to us via the internet is done so at your own risk.
Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose and it is not required to be retained by law, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify it.
Disclosure to Third Parties
As part of providing our products and services to you we may be required to disclose your personal information to third party organisations such as:
- our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisers;
- outsourced service providers such as agencies that distribute and deliver our products to you and assist us with promotions or competitions;
- regulatory and other government agencies as required by Australia law;
- a court, if required by a court order or other legally enforceable request such as an injunction or subpoena,
- our related entities;
- a third party, if we merge with another entity or sell some or all of our business to a third party then your personal information and other data will be transferred to the new owner.
By continuing to use our services and website you consent to such disclosures to third parties.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may request a copy of the personal information we hold about you by submitting a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you discover the information we hold concerning you is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date irrelevant or misleading, please advise us as soon as possible. If we refuse to amend the information you may request we associate the information with a state that the information is incorrect, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
You will be required to verify your identity and to specify what information you require.
If we refuse to amend the information you may request we associate the information with a state that the information is incorrect, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
We may refuse to give access to your information and will give written reasons if we refuse access.